The Fastest Way To Learn Something New

Sean EverettSean Everett, Building a machine indistingui... (more)
Remember the first day of school? Or that first time you stepped onto your high school basketball court? Or that first class in college where you thought to yourself, "wow, I'm in over my head". Or when you had a project at work that you had no idea how to do it?

The one thing they all have in common is being a bit scared. That feeling means you're living 10% outside your comfort zone. That's where all growth in life happens.

Whether it's building up enough courage to walk across the bar and chat up that person you've been crushin on, like, so hard or learning how to engineer a website or iPhone app, if you've never done it before it's a feeling of self-doubt and anxiety that won't go away.

Hold on to that feeling. It means you're alive. But it also means that you're operating in unchartered territory. It means you're going to learn something 10x faster than your peers who are phoning it in everyday.

It's like showing up to basketball practice, trying to dribble with your left hand, and turning it over, then spending the next week doing nothing but dribbling with your left hand so it will never happen again.

After that 1 week is up, I guarantee you that your left is going to be better than some of your teammate's right hand. But in the beginning I bet you told yourself, there's no way my left is going to be as good as my right? Not any more.

So the next time you walk through the door of the gym or at work, take a moment to figure out what you want to get better at. Then go do it. And do it. And do it. And...

And when you're done, you'll be better than the others you were afraid of before you got started.

Not sure where to look? It's easy. Find your fear. Then form tackle it to the ground.
Comment1

Blog

Sean M Everett | Building a machine indistingui...

Author

Sean Everett
Sean Everett
Building a machine indistinguishable from a human being.